Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
Damn Marine Engineers...he's wrong of course.

He made the same mistake, that the thrust won't push the plane forward for some bizarre reason.

laugh

Here's another way to test it...

Walk on a tread mill, while holding an inflated ballon at the open end...point the balloon so that when you let go...it will fly the same direction you are facing, against the direction of the tread mill belt...

It will shoot forward, it will not hover over the belt.

laugh

If some how holding it down, right at the belt surface somehow changes things for you...let the balloon go again from there....it will STILL shoot forward.

The thrust from the air rushing out of the balloon will push it forward, even if the ground or a belt, etc...is going the wrong way below it.

I personally promise that it will work.

laugh

The farting sound from the balloon is a bonus.

Enjoy.
BUT - a heavy ass planes weight is sitting on the treadmill / runway thingy. If I stood on top of the plane and did the same thing with the balloon it would shoot forward, because the balloon isn't sitting on a set of wheels etc, which need to rotate for it to gain speed to get airborn.

The wheels may not have any power going to them, but they still have to spin for the plane to move forwards along the runway. If the treadmill is totally cancelling out the forward motion of the wheels then the plane ain't going anywhere.

I'm torn, I thought I agreed with you guys now that the plane would take off, but my brain just says no it won't! lol.