Quote:
Originally posted by NY Madman:
I am no longer dedicated to the position that it will not fly.
You don't have to recant your original position:

Quote:
Originally posted by XPLORx4 (from page 11):
Based on Xorand's response, I believe it may be possible in the hypothetical scenario for the plane to not take off, so I am in agreement with NYMadman, but not because the engines don't actually move the aircraft further forward on the runway. Note: the hypothetical scenario is vague about the term "speed", and it does not provide any details about the physical environment. Most of us are filling in the blanks with what we perceive as "common knowledge" in order to arrive at our conclusion that the plane will take off.

Here's something that only Xorand hinted at (which would prevent the plane from taking off):

The conveyor is either moving at an infinite speed, if its speed-detection mechanism uses the plane's wheelspeed sensors, or it's moving opposite to the plane's groundspeed, if its mechanism is based on that. Now, we know that inifinity is a theoretical concept, and that wheel bearings and tires certainly cannot REALLY rotate at an infinite speed before self-destructing (which would then cause the conveyor to stop). So, without functional wheels, the plane can't overcome the friction of its broken landing gear sticking out beneath its belly, and it won't take off.

If the conveyor moves backwards at the same speed the plane moves forwards through space, then you would need to know the design limitations of the wheel bearings and tires to determine if they can spin at twice the take-off speed of the aircraft. If they can't handle it, again you have broken landing gear and the plane will likely careen out of control as it rolls down the runway at 180+mph. If the landing gear can handle those speeds, then the aircraft will indeed take off.