Quote:
Originally posted by MattyX:

You, Madman, are making an assumption when you state that the plane will not be travelling through the air. The conveyor is said to match the plane's speed, not keep the plane stationary.
I'm not making any assumptions. You are failing to grasp the concept.

Let's go by your assumption for a minute. How far is this plane traveling through the air? Are you talking distance? Please tell me what distance and at what rate the plane is moving through the atmosphere? (We will assume for the question posed to you that the atmosphere is mostly static with no wind conditions).

If you are so sure of yourself, tell me the rate at which the air is flowing over the fuselage and wings if your plane is traveling through the atmosphere?

Also, the conveyor is not keeping the plane stationary. Once it's speed is matched with the plane, the plane is virtually stationary in relation to the surrounding atmosphere, the ground, and to an outside observer. It is not stationary on the conveyor.

Why is that such a difficult concept for you?

The concept of the plane's status in relation to the atmosphere and ground comes into play in aerodynamic principles.

I'll attempt to show that in my next post.