Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
Quote:
Originally posted by BlueSky:
[b]I disagree, but respectfully. I know the wheels don't control the plane's motion, but I also know they are the means by which engine power is converted to forward motion over the ground when the aircraft isn't flying.

Calling people morons because they don't share your point of view - which very well may be wrong, Einstein - makes you a gold-plated asshat. IMHO of course. [Finger]
Yes, I am an asshat. I have no problems admitting that.

But if you think the force of motion of an airplane is magically created by the tires when a plane is on the ground, but created by the engines when it's in the air, then frankly, yes, you are a moron.

Forward motion of the plane is caused by the engines pushing the plane forward, whether it's in the air, on the ground, on the water, or wherever. Never, ever, is forward motion either caused or restricted by the tires on the ground.

I'm no einstein, but I'm evidently smart enough to know where the force for the motion comes from for a plane, and that it doesn't magically shift from one thing to another based on the plane's position... [Finger]

Blue, the tires DIRECT the motion of the plane on the ground; the same as the ailerons and rudder DIRECT the motion of the plane in the air. NONE of those things either cause or prevent motion that is originated by the force applied by the ENGINES.[/b]
I didn't say the tires CREATED the plane's motion, I said they are the instrument through which forward motion occurs. Don't believe that? Retract the gear and see how far you go.

Apply thrust, what happens? The tires roll and the plane moves over the ground. The thrust provides the power but the tires rolling results in the plane moving.

Now apply the brakes. The tires stop and so does the plane (assuming there's not enough thrust to overcome the braking action). The tires didn't stop the plane, the brakes did, but the tires were the catalyst through which the braking action caused a RESULT - the plane stopping.

We'll apparently agree to disagree. I'm a moron and you're an asshat. Do those cancel each other out? laugh

P.S. Did you read my post 2nd from the top on this page?