Wow! So many differing opinions. Here's mine.

Started using Rain-X about 8-10 years ago. Really liked the beading up of rain and not needing the wipers as much. It also helps to keep the windshield cleaner longer. My wife hated it until just a couple of years ago. Now she insists I put on her car (Saturn) as well.

Yes, it does take some work to put it on CORRECTLY. Squirt it on a soft rag, rub it on like you were waxing the glass by hand (really you are) and then let it dry thoroughly. Make sure the glass is cool also (that means not hot, not good looking!). It will definately haze when it's dry. Then use a cloth (paper towels work well) to buff it off until clear again. Here's where the work comes in. It takes a LOT of buffing to do it correctly. Once it's on correctly, it lasts for a long time (a couple of months).

As far as the washer fluid is concerned, it says that it is supposed to help maintain the rub on stuff. I have found it really does. I just bought my X a couple of months ago (it hasn't even had it's first oil change yet) and I am waiting for the reservoir to drain so I can fill it with Rain-X's washer fluid. Can't come up with a good reason for wasting what's already there.

Anyway, if you put it on with some work, I think you'll be really pleased with it.

Just my .02 worth...