I know what you're going through.

My brother was in a car accident in April 2002 in which he sustained compound fractures in both legs (tibia and fibula), destroyed the ligaments in both knees, and had major burns (from tranny fluid) on both legs. He was in ICU for almost the first month.

Apparently, someone in an oncoming car (who they assume was drunk) swerved into his lane. When he tried to avoid them, he hit a curb and lost control of the vehicle (high-centered). He hit a pole right at the front door seam (middle of his legs). The other vehicle came back, stopped, two guys got out, helped his passenger out, and looked at my brother. They freaked out and got back in their vehicle and left - haven't found them yet.

It took them two hours to get out of the car. They had to cut it in five places with the jaws of life and almost cut off his legs to get him out. Luckily the door and transmission tunnel pinched his legs enough to act as a tournicate and he didn't bleed to death. Because of the way his legs were lodged, they also didn't have to cut them off (which they seriously thought about).

It's been almost a year, and he's doing pretty well. Has some doctors' appointments this week to see if his right leg is healing. The tibia may need a bone graft. He has kept an amazing attitude. His personality is similar to how you describe your nephew.

I know what you are going through. You and your family (and especially your nephew) will get through this! You are all in my prayers.

Remember that it will take time, but keep in mind that modern medicine can do some amazing things. Remember, also, to always have hope and strength!

All my best to you and your family.