Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."
I am an atheist. Lets get that out of the way.

The 1st ammendment basically means there will be no "official" religion of the state. The governement can't give catholics preferential treatment over protestants and so forth. Nor can protestants be discriminated against because they are protestants. (insert whatever religion you want)What it does NOT say is that there can be no religion at all in government. The government can be all born-again Baptists (insert whatever religion you want) and have a forgivness prayer every morning if they prefer. But what they CANNOT do is make everyone else a Baptist (insert religion here) under pain of imprisonment or discrimination. Or keep a non-baptist(insert religion here) person from freely practicing (or not)thier own religion. That is what the law means. It says nothing about having no religious references on state buildings.

Now I do not see how having the Ten Commandments on a courthouse establishes a state religion, or prohibits the freedom to worship how we please. Since the commandments apply to BOTH the Jewish and christian religion, it seems that it covers a wide array. Do the commandment being displayed somehow discriminate against muslims, hindus , or wiccans, or even worse prohibit them from exercising their rights to worship as they please? No they do not. If they are offended, (and I'll bet they are not) too bad. The ACLU is out of control.