Quote:
Originally posted by socalpunX:
A wierd thing is why exactly was the guy there? Did he really pack up his shit and head to Iraq just looking for a job? It says he didn't find one and was headed home. Was he planning on picking up the local classifides and starting the interview process?

I can't understand why any American would go there unless they were allready a contract worker or worked for a company that was a contractor.

It sucks that he was killed and used as an example by pissed off millitants. I can see why the government might have been a little suspicious of the bearded guy who just shows up with nothing to do looking for a job.

The fact that he was there really bewilders me.
CBS/AP

(CBS/AP) As the family of slain American Nicholas Berg gathered for the memorial service at a West Chester synagogue Friday, Attorney General John Ashcroft announced that U.S. authorities investigated Nicholas Berg for a possible connection to terrorists but determined there was no link.

Moussaoui is now in federal custody and awaiting trial on conspiracy charges stemming from the Sept. 11 attacks.

"The suggestion that Mr. Berg was in some way involved in terrorist activity, or may have been linked in some way to terrorist activity, is a suggestion that we do not have any ability to support and we do not believe is a valid one," Ashcroft said at a news conference.

The 2002 investigation determined that an e-mail address once used by Berg apparently was obtained by the Moussaoui acquaintances while Berg was briefly an engineering student at the University of Oklahoma in 1999.

cbsnews.com full story

As I was saying earlier in the week: who is this guy really? Why was he really there?

What are the odds that a Jewish guy who was questioned post 9/11 for a possible connection to terrorism decides to go to Iraq to find employment, gets detained by either Iraqi and/or U.S. forces, gets released and then finds himself kidnapped and then beheaded by Islamic terrorists.

What an incredible coincidence.