Quote:
Originally posted by NY Madman:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:

Agreed. I wasn't really trying to start any argument over it.

I'm not pro-gun, but I'm not anti-gun either. I'd never own one, but I think if someone wants to own one, that's their right (which, by the way, was a view I didn't have until discussions on this board).
You serious? Prior to XOC, you never thought it was a right as an American citizen to own a gun?

I tell you what.... You live near DC. You need one. Maybe I will get you one for Christmas....
I guess I should clarify that. I didn't see any reason people would need some of the types of guns available (basically any kind of assault weapon). I still don't see any reason to need them, but if you want them, have at it. And that if guns were to be banned, I wouldn't have any problems with it. Never thought anyone didn't have a *right* to own one. They do.

If that makes any sense. Mostly ambivalence, I suppose.

DC isn't nearly as bad as it used to be. I've been down in the worst areas of town after dark (SE, 9th Ward, two blocks from projects that had been boarded up), on my own, with a $20,000 camera on the sidewalk. No problems whatsoever, and I never felt like I was in any danger.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist