Quote:
Originally posted by SE4X4:
From someone that does not have much vested in the American politics, military and current operations, I have to admit my first thought when I heard what he said was 'damn funny and stupid, he just slammed the troops'.

When I thought about it further - it occurred to me that this may have been a bit of a Freudian slip - as everyone knows that the frenzy of military recruiting is going on in poor areas with less then stellar education levels and local unemployment.

I also don't hear of too many politicians sons and daughters volunteering (both Democrat and Republican - but I would have to say to the republicans - put your sons where your mouth is!)

I have no doubt having heard the explanations and the context of the speech that this was meant as a joke against Bush. It backfired badly. I find it funny that some of the troops are too stupid to see that the meaning was not entirely conveyed by Kerry's words. Sometimes words are said to deceive, sometimes they are misused, and very rarely can words be trusted by themselves.
For some Canadian who claims to not have a vested interest in American politics, you do always have an awful lot to say about it.

If Kerry wanted to make a "so-called" joke about Bush or the Bush administration, he would have included the words "Bush" or "Bush administration" or even "administration" in his comment. He didn't.

Yeah, he made a Freudian slip. It revealed his true feelings about the people that serve in the military.

You are also full of shit with your statement that recruiting is at a frenzy in areas with "less then stellar education levels and local unemployment". If that were true, then why does the military have better levels of education than the general population?

People like you and Kerry are of the same mindset.