Quote:
Originally posted by Branden Burden:
Samuel, what does the US military today do? Why do we have a military if not to kill people? Yes it is the most basic arguement you can make, perhaps even a little bottom rung, but breaking the military down, it's sole purpose today is to kill people. Period. Sounds pretty bad, but it is the truth.

Please repond with a differing opinion, please fight for what you believe. Please help me understand what the main function of a military is, cause I guess I don't get it (and please don't try the "but it will save lives in the long run arguement", I don't buy it - how many lives did we save by rushing into Nam?)
Ok, I really try to stay away from political debates since mentally crossing from right to left and vice versa is practically impossible, but this particular quote just really got to me. The reason we have a military branch of government is for PROTECTION, not killing random people on a whim. It is as stupid an idea as saying the sole purpose of law enforcement is to kill people. Certainly, they have in the past and will continue to do so. My brother, aunt and uncle all served in the Army and never killed a single person. My grandfather served in the Korean War and honestly doesn't know if he killed anyone or not while shooting at the enemy to protect himself.

If, in the line of duty, a member of the military or law enforcement need to take a life to protect themselves and/or others, then I will support them and give them the benefit of the doubt. Yes, there are bad seeds in every job profession (remember when we thought Cathlolic priests were all OK guys). And of course the select bad few are the ones who make the news.

So please, try not to overgeneralize any job profession, especially those who risk their lives every day to protect yours.