Quote:
Originally posted by Branden Burden:
Quote:
If you have to ask, it's not worth typing an answer.
Conundrum - No, I will not except that answer.

I want to know why soldiers should be treated any differently than the average worker in a hard, dirty, dangerous job with little pay. I will give the following examples of people in America that work to give us all the way of life we so treasure. Please answer, I want to know, and I will listen; my mind is open.

For example -
1,234 construction workers died in the private sector in 2004. Where were the parades for these brave men and women, where are the CNN segments thanking these people?

More than 1,000 people—including more than 100 highway workers—died in 2004 in roadway construction work zone accidents. Did you thank a highway worker when you saw one last?

45 coal miners have died this year to date to provide you with the power you recieve when switch that light on. Do you think of that when you last turned on a light, or your computer?

Bottom line - soldiers have a tough job, but so do a lot of unamed workers that few people if any think about. I'll say it again, I respect soldiers, but no more than any of the workers posted above.

So conudrum, please explain why the people listed above do not deserve the same level of respect as the average US soldier.

Quote:
Brandon,
Does evil exist? If you believe that evil does not exist this thread can end. But if evil does exist, can you negotiate with evil? Can you contain evil? Can you just ignore evil?
Steve - yes evil does exist. Yes, you can negotiate with evil, to an extent (Churchill circa late 1930's and Rummy circa mid 1980s). Yes, you can contain evil (please see Iraq and Iran, before this current war) And yes, you can ignore evil (please see Iran and N. Korea now).

What to do about the current problems of N. Korea and Iran - I don't know (here comes madman w/ his "thats so typical of you left wingers"), but honestly have we really given any thought to this? Lets sit down and figure it out, cause at least someone will agree that war is not always the answer.
I guess you don't have a choice, but let me indulge you slightly.

I get up everyday, know where I am, know where I'll be sleeping. Know that I can eat 3 squares a day. Know that I can sit around and do nothing if I choose. Know that I'll make it home safely to my Wife and Child. Know that I can go off-roading with some buddies next weekend. Etc....

Military life: None of the above applies, yah, you'll be getting up, but you won't know if you're even going to get to go to the bathroom let alone know that you're going to get even one good meal. Top it off with you don't know if your Countrymen despise you or are cheering for you. You don't know if you'll even make it through the day without getting hit by an IED or sniper as CNN has proudly displayed.

So answer in a nutshell, you don't know what you're talking about and comparing apples to oranges is just stupid (Kerryeske) and really deserves no comment.

Enjoy your freedom, someone died for it.