Quote:
Originally posted by NY Madman:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:

She attended Judge's funeral. Now, YOU may not consider him a firefighter, but I bet 99% of NYC's firefighters DO consider him a firefighter
Fr. Judge was not a firefighter. He was a chaplain. And no...regardless of what you may have heard in the press he was not as universally loved as he was portrayed in the media. I'm sure he was a nice guy, but many fireman did not appreciate an openly gay priest as a department chaplain.
So some firefighters would say he wasn't one because he was gay? What does that have to do with the price of eggs in China?

A simple "he was not a firefighter, he was a chaplain" would have sufficed.

Funny thing...last I knew the Catholic Church had no problem with someone in the church (lay or clergy) that was openly gay - AS LONG AS they didn't act on it. If he was celibate, as he required to have been, it doesn't matter.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist