Ok, exact log of events as I remember them:

1) Line of SCCX xterras nears Soda lake, under the assumption that we may have to go around if it is muddy. In preperation, we have a truck with a locker in front, and one in back to pull folks out.

2) The group stops at the pile of rocks. Some notice a yellow dot in the middle of the lake, possibly stuck. First thought of a yellow vehicle is that it may be an Xterra.

3) A scouting party is established uincluding a 2005 Frontier driven by Chris West, a Granite Xterra driven by Richard from NCCX (the locked trucks) and I was passenger in the Frontier.

4) Scouting party arrives at scene. We are shocked to find an Xterra stuck up to the frame rails. An old Ford pickup has a long chain hooked to the front of the Xterra, and the crew is digging out mud trying to place plywood under the front tires.

5) After carefully walking through the mud, we make it to the Xterra, only to find out that it was Cary. I was amazed. We asked how it happened, and was told by Cary that he was scouting the lake alone, and while at night. He mistaked a big pile of mud for the rock pile because of it being dark, and tried to go around it. At that point he sunk in to thick mud. He said he tried to hike across the lake but thought he might die out there, so he came back. Eventually he hitched a ride in to town with the rangers (who tagged along with some jeepers). He hired a recovery crew.

6) I radioed back to the others and said that the Xterra was actually Cary and that he may need help. Brian radioed back and said "no way Cary Anderson is actually stuck?" Cary asked me for the radio, and he said some not so nice things back, then threw the radio at me.

7) Richard and myself offered our assistance, including water, food, supplies, rides to town, or anything else he could think of. All were refused. He said he had everything he needed.

8) We offered our assistance in helping with the recovery, Cary said no, that he had all the help he needed.

9) Brian gets on the radio and says that time is running out to make it to the spot he had planned. I radioed back that some of us may stay to help with the recovery.

10) Again Cary stressed that he did not require our help. The others were already starting to leave, so Richard and I again offered anything he needed, water, what ever. All refused.

11) As the scout group was leaving, I radioed to Brian asking how long it would take to get to the other side of the lake. I suggested that a few trucks could hook together in an effort to pull Cary out the direction he came. He radioed back saying that it would take quite a while, and if Cary didn't want help, then thats that. I radioed again, saying I did not feel comfortable leaving somone. Xterracer (black X) radioed back saying he agreed.

12) I radioed to Richard and suggested that I may want to head back to the lake after Chris's memorial was set up. Brian radioed and said that it would be dark by that time, and stressed again that he felt bad, but it was useless to help him if he didnt want it, and that the recovery crew would get him out.

13) Not having been to Mojave before, I wasn't going to search for a dry lake in the dark by myself. I felt extremely bad about leaving even though we were told to leave by Cary himself.

14) On the road out of Mojave once my phone was back in service, I called the number on the side of Cary's truck. I talked to his wife and asked if he made it out. She told me he had, and that he was staying somwhere that night but would be back the next day. If she had not told me he made it out, I would have formed a recovery party with anyone who was willing to try. I radioed to the rest of the trucks that Cary made it out O.K.

15) I called the number again the following day, and talked to Cary himself. He was not too happy. He talked about stuff that happened between toolbox and others that was way before my time and to which I really didn't care.

16) Everything gets turned around on the SCCX forum on XOC and Cary attacks me, saying that we left him?

Everything is there. Complete and honest truth.

Yes, Brian was trying to keep a schedule to complete the planned run for CCX. Did I feel bad about that? Yes. Was it wrong? Well, thats debatable. After all, you DID refuse all help from us.

Did I abandon you? NO! In fact, I was likely the only person who took the time to make sure you made it home safely.

I hope that clears some things up.