Quote:
Originally posted by Shahram:
I have to agree with Wilmac to a certain extent; that is to say, I think gun defense success stories are few and far between. Shame there aren't more. It's a simple equation of logistics. Crime victims are often merrily slumbering or toiling away at their daily rituals, not expecting that an armed thief is about to accost them. Sometimes, through luck or extraordinary circumstances, the victim is prepared and is able to defend himself. But not very often. Not often enough, anyway.

Does that affect my argument for gun ownership? No. It doesn't have the slightest bearing. I don't give a flying fuck about statistics, or facts, or anecdotal evidence one way or another. I will always use a gun if I feel I need to, regardless of law or popularity or political correctness. Just like I will always control what goes into my body, I will always speak my mind, I will always keep a boundary that no one can cross. I don't give a shit about laws. Call me a criminal. Call me a nutcase. I'm a moral person, and I believe in myself. I believe in self-empowerment. And if the day comes when I must kill another human being in self-defense, I ain't coming without proper equipment.

I've never understood the American "liberal" stance on guns. Lots of liberals have used firearms to help foment change. If guns were good enough for Ché, why aren't they good enough for you? You think when the day comes when your "rights" don't mean shit to this government, and your life and livelihood is in danger, that the proliferation of small arms won't be a deterrent to an overbearing cop or politician?

As far as keeping guns in the house, I grew up with grandparents who had guns. Until I was an adult with gun experience, I never touched them. They belonged to my grandfather, and I respected my grandfather's belongings. That's all it came down to.

I have a kid coming any day now. I've got a kitchen full of the most vicious cutlery you can buy. My wife cooks huge pots of boiled and deep-fried foods. I keep fuel, and matches, and electrical equipment, and power-tools, and all kinds of dangerous stuff in the house. Yes, I will have to be more careful, but you cannot ever "child-proof" a house 100%. At some point, you have to rely on what you've taught your children. They will have brushes with death. We all have, and so will they. Can't be helped.

For hundreds of years, people have kept firearms at arm's length. Children have died, but we have education and information now. We have proper locks, safes, safety devices. Will more children die? Yes. Does that have anything to do with me? No. Much like my argument for marijuana, don't judge me for what someone else may do. I manage to live my life day after day without hurting the people around me. So just leave me alone.

Besides, much like seat belts, or drunk driving, American behavior is dictated by the shaping of thought. When people just get used to locking their guns in a safe manner, just like using their seatbelts or designating a driver, less people get killed. Which is the best we can hope for.
True dat. [ThumbsUp]