Quote:
Originally posted by Steel_City_X:
kites can be an expensive hobby. I've got a friend who is addicted. I went with him down to the sand dunes. He's around 250#, took one of those 36"+ duffle bags and filled it with sand as a 'deadman', cliped it to a climbing harness, just to slow his travel across the sand.

The kite sounded like a small jet when it went by. I was inbelievable to watch him with this amount of pull from the kite. He would have ended in Alamosa if he was not tethered.

He likely has a couple hundred kites. Keeps a whole bunch is a space case un his truck, just in case there is 'good wind'

I've enjoyed watching people along the coast with stunt kites. I've got a few kites, luckily I never got addicted like modifying the truck. Maybe if I was younger, I'd get more use out of it.

Todd
I've got two really nice 2-line kites that I fly from time to time. One is a Lotus 3/4 - it'll give you 50-75lbs of pull (very rough guess) on a windy day. It's slow and it buzzes when it flies. The other one is called a 'mini dipper'. It's small and very very fast. Tons of fun somewhere like Florida where I bought it where the wind is very steady - hard to fly here in Texas where the wind is many things - but NEVER steady.