Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:

I read the first few pages. I couldn't read anymore... Too much BS flying around.

So here's my $.01 worth.

Typically/ordinarily, I'd side with Isreal when it comes to their response towards terrorists. And to be honest, I like the gung-ho attitude w/ going after the piece of shits.

But in this particular instance, I feel that Israel is going too far with this, over 2 soldiers. Don't get me wrong; I am all for the "noone gets left behind" attitude, and for the "no negotiations" attitude with dealing with Hezbollah, and other organizations like this.

What I don't understand, however, is how attacking Lebanon, and knocking them back two decades of advancement, is helping Isreal's case. They've done an excellent job over the past decade with precision strikes against the guilty party; taking a heli and blasting the shiite out of whatever carload of people they needed to hit. But for some reason, they've taken a broad "kill 'em all" approach this time, and I don't think it serves their purpose.

In the overall grand scheme of things, as of right now, there are only 2 Israeli soldiers kidnapped and lost. Blowing up a neighboring country isn't going to get those 2 soldiers back. Going after the Hezbollah directly will. But you've got to hit the "right" Hezbollah. It doesn't seem prudent to piss off the neighbors for *only* 2 soldiers.
It's actually three soldiers.

On the surface what you say may be logical if you were only looking at the surface.... and in one direction. But in reality this is about a lot more than just three soldiers. Lebanon is also more than just your average neighboring country.

A lot has happened in Lebanon. Especially over the past year and a half. Are you familiar with what has taken place there over the past 18 months or more?

Israel is fighting Hezbollah in Lebanon. They are not targeting Lebanese troops, but they need to cut off Hezbollah's access to Damascus. They need to block the ports to prevent arms and weapons shipments. They will destroy whatever assets Hezbollah is using. Such as the Beirut airport. If Israel wanted to outright attack the Lebanese people, they would have destroyed the power grid in that country first.

To make a long story short, Israel is fighting a proxy war with Iran right now. Those proxies being Hezbollah in the north and Hamas in the south. Syria as a partner.

Quote:
This feeling I've got directly conflicts my feelings on Iraq, however, and a lot of things in general. But I'm afraid that Israel is dragging the middle east into the precurser for WWIII. And for something that is not a large/harsh enough offense to warrant it.
You are looking in the wrong direction. Iran has been arming Hezbollah and Hamas for some time now building to a confrontation with Israel.

The timing is not unusal considering what the madman Iranian president said just last Saturday...

Ahmadinejad has been mobilizing his terrorist proxies. (He's the kind of guy you really want with nuclear weapons too).

It's about more than just the kidnapped soldiers. The attacks from Gaza in the south and then the soldiers being kidnapped were the provocation to deal with the terrorist forces that were building up.