Quote:
Originally posted by 2Xplore:
Quote:
Originally posted by PDXterra:
[b] This is XOC, not the MacNeil-Lehrer News Hour.
I had no intention of being sucked into this fray, but oh well.....

Never in my lifetime did I think to see these words used together in the same sentence. I believe this may be a sign of the Amageddon!

The Arabs have been attacking Israel since the Allies carved out a "homeland" for the Jews in 1948. They went from being ruled by the Ottoman Empire, to the British Empire, to having a bunch of displaced foreigners given the keys to their land by outside powers. Personally, I would have been a little pissed myself.

Now it has become the quagmire we have today. Religious zealots fighting a war in the name of their god, against not only the Zionists, but the entire western world.

The middle east has not known true peace.....ever, only occupying powers, dictators, and kings. That is not going to change until the next generations of people are taught tolerance instead of hatred (so not in my lifetime), or everyone gets turned to glass in a nuclear fire.

The US had its hand in the formation of Israel, not out of some righteous need to do right by the Jews, but because none of the the allied powers wanted an influx of millions of Jewish refugees into their respective countries after WWII. So they offered them the "Holy Land" some of them wanted. They just failed to mention that somebody else was living there.

Times change, I realize that, after all our own Manifest Destiny was nothing but a land grab for a growing county. However, I have no desire to fight a war for a spot of land that has no meaning for me whatsoever. Unfotunately, if we just let them fight it out, we still have to deal with whichever side wins. That sure sounds appealing.
You want to call me an "anti-war hippie", or an "anti-semite" then so be it. Your arrogance means nothing to me.

What does mean something to me is the fact that the US has now become the new occupying power in the middle east. No good deed goes unpunished.
I don't believe in Isolationism, but dammit, does the US have to try to be the self-righteous savior to every area of the world that hates us? Spreading peace and democracy worldwide, whether you want it or not. We are the new Roman Empire, and our days of dominance in a world that despises us are numbered. [Sleep]

Shahram, the "Costco Member since 2006" is awesome![/b]
Finally, a post that has a lot of truth backing it. [ThumbsUp]