Quote:
Originally posted by socalpunX:
Every group has extremists. Even the Sikhs want their own little slice of heaven.
A little light reading on Sikh terrorism:
http://www.fas.org/irp/threat/terror_91/asia.html

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/para/sikh.htm

Yes, there are certainly militants in every religion. The problem with you citing Sikhs among the Islamic groups is that it has nothing to do with what we are talking about here. Sikh "terrorist" groups are more akin to what was going on in Chechnya than what is happening in the Mid East and with global terrorism.

Quote:
I never said to burry our collective heads in the samd and pretend that evil doesn't exist. Closing up shop and boarding the doors is hardly "my happy place." It's ugly and sad but if protecting our way of life really is the goal, than what else would be more effective? I'm merely saying that going over to wherever the bad guys are hiding and trying to combat them millitarily isn't working. MadMad thinks I'm crazy for saying that we should pack up concentrate on defending our own homeland while going door to door all over the world shooting the bad guy makes perfect sense. Which plan really has a chance of success?

In an ideal world, I agree with you SoCal. Heck, I would like to extend that kind of isolationism to our food supply too (which I actually consider a national security issue). And while we're at it, why not stop importing cheap plastic crap from China? Again, I agree with you in principle, but I honestly do not know if it is any more tenable a solution than the alternative of chasing terrorists all over the world. One thing I am sure of, however, is that we do not have an accurate picture of how effective military force can be against this enemy because of the insufficient manpower and material that we are devoting to the task--not to mention the subversive role that all the bleeding hearts and moral relativists play in keeping one hand tied behind the military's back. That is another discussion for another day, however.

Quote:
A smaller world? Yeah, I know everyone says that because you can fly it or call it and get across it quicker it's a smaller planet. But has it has never ben so populated and diverse. Have you ever seen a map of the world from about 1200AD? It was a much smaller place with much more ethnic and cultural segregation. You have never had so many different and diverse cultures living on top of each other and people are doing a damn good job of killing more of each other with less effort than it took in 1200.

We would not even be having this discussion if the world was not a smaller place. We would have already adopted your isolationist plan.