Quote:
Originally posted by m2pro:
now, i guess the last argument for the jeep is will i enjoy driving it more. considering the top and doors can come off and all. i love the xterra looks. but the black on black rubi looks smooth too.

lastly, what are suggestions on first mods on an x?
That's a good point too... really just depends on what's most important to you.

Really, the BEST thing to do is to have a daily driver car and then a trail rig. 'cause as they say:::

Personally, I have the best of both worlds.

My offroad rig/tow vehicle/general purpose large vehicle:

and my wind-in-my-hair fuel efficient fun-to-drive babe magnet daily driver:

There are some difficulties with having two cars - higher insurance, double the registration fees, inspections etc etc - but there are some great things, too.

In any case, if you are really planning to offroad a lot, a brand new vehicle may not be the way to go. They get scratched up, dented etc etc. It's just part of leaving the pavement. You could probably buy both of my vehicles (well, not MINE wink ) for the price of a new fully loaded X. An older Jeep or an '00/'01 X would serve you well.

Oh - regarding first mods... the '05+ Xterras are significantly changed from the '00-'04 like I have, so I'll let someone else talk about that - but I know you need the rock sliders (replacement step rails that are made from thick steel that will support the entire weight of the vehicle and won't bend or break when rocks smash into them) and probably other armor upgrades.

Check out Calmini for some of what is available.

I'll stop rambling now. No matter what way you go, get involved with your local Xterra/Jeep/Whatever club and you'll have a blast. They'll teach you a ton and you'll always have someone to wheel with (offroading alone is a baaad idea, mmmkay?)