I own a 05 Rubicon and wheel with a guy with a 2002 supercharged X all the time.

I like the X, and it has a huge advantage in interior space. He lugs the cooler.

It is also capable off road, but could use lockers. I had to pull him up a section of trail, on one outing. (could have been my bad spotting)

He may trade his in on a Rubicon or Rubicon unlimited.

I know tons of people with Jeeps, and none have had major problems. My buddies X had the AC go out 6 months after he got it.

Toyota "legendary reliability" is just that, a legend, a grain of truth with a ton of hype. My mom has a 2000 Camry and it is a POS, the strut towers went bad at 28k and Toyota would not cover them under warranty. At least not until my mother wrote a nasty letter to the corporate offices, and even then they would not cover the shocks that failed because the strut towers did.

Another Buddy has a 99 Tacoma and it is falling apart. I can’t stand it, it is such a pile of crap. Warped rotors, really bad axle wrap on every stop, interior trim falling off.Also had the starter go with less the 80k on it and the ignition switch. Totally reminds me of 80s GM cars.

I have owned 3 2000 and newer GM vehicles and everyone has been better then those "legendary Toyotas".

I am sure you will love the X, they are pretty cool, and I don't have a wife and kids, and don’t plan on getting any kids ever. So the jeep is fine for me, the dog, and any future chicks I decide to put up with.

The people here who said the X is a better all around vehicle are on target, but it won't keep up with a wrangler, and especially a Rubicon on some trails.

Own them on dunes though!

It all boils down to driving what you like. I think the Jeeps are way cooler looking but that’s just me.

Oh check with your dealer before you do major mods, they may mess with your warranty on you.

With Modern cars, I don’t think reliability is much of a factor, they ALL are, even Toyotas and Chryslers, they all put out a lemon now and then but quality is pretty close across the board. The age of all American cars being crap was over YEARS ago.

AS an example both Ford and Toyota just recalled hundreds of thousands of vehicles.