Quote:
Originally posted by MaloCS:
I don't understand why anyone would try and compare these two vehicles. They are totally different and aimed at different markets. If the original poster started this thread to compare the Xterra to a Liberty or Cherokee then that would be fine. They are comparable vehicles marketed to the same demographic. To compare an Xterra to a Jeep Rubicon is asinine.
I have to agree with that. There are at least three different offroad markets there, probably more. The wrangler-type is for those that JUST go offroad. There's a market for the dual-use off and on-road for the daily drivers, and then there are the soccer moms that sometimes go on dirt roads.

For the daily driver that wants to rock climb, I would see the Liberty in the same group as the xterra, along with the pathfinder and others.

Before throwing out the Jeep Liberty, let me post a little bit about it. I researched a lot of vehicles before I went with a Liberty (and I really love the look of the new Xterras).

#1, the Jeep Liberty *IS* a capable offroad vehicle. Right off the lot, you can get skid plates, rock rails, and lamp covers for the rear. They aren't just wimpy factory skid plates, either, there's an engine plate, tranny plate, tank skid, etc - it's fully covered down there, I've bounced off a lot of rocks.

#2, Lots of aftermarket parts available. 2-3" lift kits (spacer or spring) are available from multiple vendors (I'd guess at least 20 manufacturers). As cheap as $130 for a spacer, full coil lifts are as cheap as $500.

#3, Other available aftermarket parts - lockers, differential plates, bumpers/winches, other typical 4x4 accessories.

#4, bigger than a wrangler! Lots of space inside to fit people + stuff, and it has 4 doors! I would have gotten a wrangler myself if there were 4 doors and cargo space.

#5, The lightbar you can get installed by the dealer. Sure there are plenty of aftermarket ones available, but the factory one looks nice.

#6, Despite being larger than the wrangler, it has a very tight turning radius and godo visibility. I find that it's easier to drive on trail and on road than cars are. Who wouldn't want a truck like that that can still parallel park and do a u-turn within 2 lanes?

In the Jeep world, the Liberty is still trying to gain acceptance - The main reason it's not seen as truly offroad capable is because of the independant front suspension - however ONLY the wrangler is SFA now, both the cherokee and the commander are independant, so it is the direction these vehicles are moving.

Not really trying to say Xterra vs Liberty pros/cons, but it is another vehicle you should consider if not sure what to get. Check out the Liberty owners club, "LOST" at www.lostkjs.com to see the similar kind of information on wheeling and vehicle comparisons. (and great photos).

Liberty is around the same price point, too, I believe. I got my renegade loaded for around 24, but I had a lot of discounts, I think the sticker put it close to 30. (you can get them as low as 16 I think if you want previous year bare)

Good luck on the purchase!

(also - are there any trail-ride groups around the new england area? PM me if you ride, I'm always looking for more groups and trails to ride)