Who said the X was inferior? If I felt that was the case, why would I have purchased $28K worth of X? Duh! Don't get yer knickers in a knot hoss. I tah-ray-ded my Jeep for an X. Money was not an issue, my 05 is paid for. Not to brag, just keeping things in prospective. I also looked at H3s. I did not buy an X to save money! My 04 Jeep was already paid for too. Cost me $9K to get the X.

I've stated nothing but facts. The Wrangler comes with heavy duty steel bumpers. If I still had mine, I'd gladly do a push test against your bumpers, and see who cries first when the plastic starts flying. For any semi-serious off-roading, the plastic has to go. It'll be thrashed in no time, as you've obviously discovered, and it ain't cheap to replace, is it?

The bumper is strong enough for a tow mount so the Jeep can be pulled with another truck, or behind a motorhome (as in my case).

Okay, lets say you start out cheap and decide to buy a Hi-Lift jack instead of a winch. Whatcha gonna put it under to lift your vehicle?

The Jeep was also designed to have handy little gadgets like winches mounted to them. These are bolt-on. The Jeep doesn't require an entire new bumper (made of steel this time) to put a winch on.

In 3' of water, is your altenator underwater? Will your rig survive if the door seal fails? Here's a hint about the Jeep... the stereo faceplate, speakers, and seats are waterproof (well, resistant anyway). The floor has drain plugs.

FWIW, the Rubicon comes with Dana 44 axles. Furthermore, Dana 44 axles, lockers, blah blah can easily be ordered from anyone of of the many companies who support Jeeps. Don't kid yourself. I've owned Nissans since 1995. I know how difficult and limited it is to find aftermarket parts.

Alright, so you decide you don't want a Rubicon, but still want lockers and Dana 44s on a TJ. No problem, these are DEALER ADD-ONs. Jimmy Vickers on Merritt Island will upgrade any of these such items, and give a full trade in on any parts... before you ever roll off the lot. They also come with a full factory warranty. Any of your add ons come with coverage from Nissan? Could they void your warranty?

I'm still trying, I do stress TRYING to get a hitch for my X. mad Dealer couldn't do it (recall), the aftermarket shop couldn't do it (Valley recalled).

As far as some Xs going on some serious trails, great. Do a search on Google, add a trail of your choice, then add Jeep. You'll see tens of thousands of hits. Seeing an Xterra is more the exception, rather than the rule, unfortunately.

Yes, a long wheelbase is a plus when climbing over some tall obstacles. It's a hinderance on tight trails though. Some buy the Unlimited for the longer wheelbase, some more diehard owners stretch their frames. You won't find any benefit to a longer wheelbase here in Florida. Less weight and wider tires are a big plus.

Love my X, don't get me wrong. It's a very capable vehicle, but even as others have said, the Jeep is more capable out of the box. What I've added, and you must have missed it, is that not only can the X be upgraded, but so can any Jeep. The parts are cheaper, much more available, and easier to install on the Jeep. Sorry if this is tough to accept. Give me your address, I'll start having the many Jeep accessory catalogs sent to your house. I no longer need them, but it might give you an idea of what I'm telling you. You could literally build a Jeep from one of these catalogs (frames, bodies, running gear, wiring, electronics, etc).

Is the Wrangler a better daily driver? No. Does its 4.0L have the power of the Nissan, not even close. Does it have the passenger and cargo room of the X, nope. Does it have anywhere near the fuel economy of the X, no. Are they both capable vehicles, YES. Will most of us EVER push either one to the limits, NOOOO!

I've owned both. Rather than just downplay a vehicle some have never even driven, I'm giving a prospective from experience. I never said the Xterra was incapable of going on any trail, but the question was asked about an X vs a Jeep, presumably out of the box (new).