Quote:
Originally posted by JeffW:
[Regardless of what someone's interpretation of SUV, I know enough to determine that an Xterra is a better trail rig for me. I keep listing the reasons, but all of the Jeep whores who never wheel keep "sucking off" the Wrangler.
Who's the Jeep whore who never wheels? Me? Think not. Read again where I've been. I started off-roading in my '73 Chevy Luv (Isuzu) and my buddy had a Datsun (aka: Nissan).

I was getting my vehicle stuck in the woods back before you got zits. :p

Quote:

Jeeps are fine. But they require a lotta $$$ to become real hardcore rigs.
So? But the point is they CAN be modified EASILY, and for far less money than the Xterra. And there isn't a single Xterra out there that's in the same category as a highly modified Jeep.

Jeeps come with roll bars and steel bumpers. Winches are bolt-on. If it flips over on its side, the damage is FAR less than it would be on the Xterra. The Jeep isn't water sensitive like the Xterra is. Those are facts. That doesn't take away from the Xterra being a great trail rig. Just a different classification. Either, in stock trim, will go on "most" trails.

Quote:

Somebody who owns a modded Jeep is nothing special as they are ubiquitous.
No argument there. But there's a reason why there are so many modified Jeeps. They can be, done so inexpensively by comparison, and it's easy to do.

Quote:
I wheel with both Yotas and Jeeps. We all agree with one thing. The Xterra is the only new SUV worth modding.
Again, no argument. Unfortunately, none of my buddies around here own Xterras. Maybe mine will earn respect in time with my crew. I'm planning a hunting trip and some general off-roading/plinking trips shortly...

Quote:
Jeeps, like Xterras need mods. It's all about how much of a sheep (or not) you want to be.
That's not what it's all about. Its about availability and cost... and untimately what you can end up with.

Face it, nobody on this forum bought an Xterra for extreme off-roading. There are several reasons for that. But that doesn't take away from the Xterra. The Jeep was designed for the trail. It was from the beginning. It was a tough transistion to convert it into a decent daily driver. But Jeep did accomplish that when they switched over to coil springs in 1997. Despite what some think, my 2004 Sahara was a good daily driver. 32K in 1 year gives you an idea that I spent some time actually driving it. I also towed it a couple of thousand miles, and those miles don't show up on the odometer. The first week I owned it, I drove it through 3' deep swamp water.

The Xterra is a better choice for me. I drive on mild to very moderate trails these days. I didn't always. I wouldn't risk damage to my Xterra by driving in deep water like I did my Jeep. While you may think off-roading in FL is nothing more than sandy trails... some of us know better. I've been in your neck of the woods a few times. Give me a shout when you come this way. I'll set up up with a buddy I've been wheelin' with when I had my Jeep. You can play follow the leader with him. I'll bring the camera. I'll buy you a steak dinner if you don't get stuck... I'll buy him one if you do. wink

Hey, enjoy what you drive.