Quote:
Originally posted by off2cjb:
You just have more ideals that reflect the vast majority of young 20-somethings that think they have a grip on everything. I was once young and idealistic as they, but experience and wisdom caught up with me, and I matured, unlike them. They too, will someday grow up and see that their opinions of things held today were complete crap.
Well...just to let you in on a little secret...I too was once like that. I'm 35 now. And yes, I grew up and realized my opinions of things when I was in my twenties were complete crap.

Quote:
You can choose to believe me or not. You can choose to accept those things or not. It doesn't matter to me.
I will not accept things that aren't explained to me - and I don't mean things like the mysteries in the bible. I mean it in that if someone wishes to convince me of something, they should give some reasons.

And to prove that some people on here HAVE managed to change my views on things - two years ago if you had asked me whether people should be able to have guns, I would have said no. But some people (I don't remember which people specifically) managed to explain WHY they should be able to have them. They gave a reasoned argument, and I accepted that. I don't have a problem with people owning guns at this point. I still wouldn't own one myself, but if you want one, go for it.

(And at least I don't pretend to have a grip on things. I still don't know whether the whole Iraq thing was the right thing to do. I'm not for it, I'm not against it.)
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist