Just my 2 cents, I am after all one of these dreaded telemarketers. I make a comfortable living (6 figures+ yearly) working 32 hours a week by speaking on the phone. I sell chemicals to the military; (epoxy for aircraft carrier decks & soap to make the fleet look good), to municipalities (wastewater odor eliminators & grafitti remover for the parks), too big industry (Ford motors, Tyson Foods, etc.), and even to Betty's poodle parlor if she can afford my shit.(I AM an equal opportunity salesman wink )
My job affords me many luxuries some people will never attain working twice as hard and twice as long. I vacation often (paid), I have 3 day weekends EVERY week, and I have more than enough time to spend with family and friends. My benefits package is outstanding, (blew out a knee and paid less than $500 after all insurance paid out) and the 401K just gets fatter.
The difference is I am calling Business to business. I'm not the schmuck who's calling to offer you a lower mortgage while you're eating, to see if your interested in carpet cleaning as you lay down to nap, or to let you know you've been selected to stay at a resort in Timbuk-F-ing-tu. This list has no effect on me at my job in that sense.
I will say however, I DID sign on the list too. Because yes,I receive almost 10 calls a day from some "hooked on phonics" graduate who'll probably move onto something more challenging like, "fry team leader" at McDonnels later in life. It's probably bad phone juju, but I like to ask them if there's some type of "jumbo" or larger offer than what they've proposed and get 'em all excited. They pitch their little can't read the scripts for a shit hearts out while I go back to whatever it was I was doing when interupted. If they're still on when I get back I say I'm not interested or politely tell them no, move on to your next lead.
All telemarketers aren't bad, just me.. laugh