Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:

Regardless. Some people say we should just go in and completely obliterate Iraq. Should we say fuck the moral high ground? I was speaking specifically of Iraq with regards to Geneva.

I remember reading a story once about an American company that had operations in Central America. They were having problems with people getting kidnapped and held for ransom. Finally they hired some mercinaries. The next time the kidnappers went to pick up a payment, there was no payment. Instead, they were given a list of them and their families, their schedules and what they did every day. The kidnapping stopped. Obviously this is a much smaller scale, but it's one step to getting all the terrorists - infiltrate, find them, and (unlike the company) either capture them or eliminate them.

As far as Gauntanamo, I haven't see any reason to bitch about how the prisoners there have been treated or whatever. There is only one thing in the Geneva Convention that I can see might be brought up - POW's must be allowed to notify next of kin. But, like you said - these aren't professional military members. (However, the fourth convention gives civilians the same rights as POW's - meaning technically, they should be able to notify next of kin).
Should we fuck the moral high ground? I don't know. I wasn't aware there was a lot of morals left in this country. Especially amongst those that constantly criticize the war on terror. I guess morals only count when the treatment of those that would kill us in a heartbeat comes into question.

Regarding these guys who kidnap businessmen in South America.... You can't compare them to the Middle Eastern terrorist organizations. Is that what you are doing....equating groups of paramilitary thugs who kidnap for ransom to Middle Eastern terrorist organizations?

The guys in Gitmo are not POW's.

Personally, I think the scum we have in Gitmo should have been killed in the field. They should never have been brought to a U.S. base in North America... or anywhere else. Upon release they will just go back to terrorist business as usual.

You're not too much of an apologist for America's enemies are you?