Quote:
Originally posted by fmsmitty:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:
[b]
Quote:
Originally posted by fmsmitty:
[b]What do you think the founding fathers of this country used to dictate laws? Has society perverted itself that far?

ps. I saw you the other day on the road. Nice looking truck. [ThumbsUp]
OK, let's assume that was what they intended.

Why aren't commandments 1, 2, 3, 4, 9 and 10 codified in any sort?

And WHICH commandments were they going by? The Protestant? Catholic? Hebrew? All three have different parts.[/b]
Let's assume? You've already proved that they have as per your next statement. And that was just in the ten commandments.[/b]
No I haven't. The commandments that DO have laws like them are commandments that AFFECT SOMEONE ELSE. I.E. crime against someone else. Someone else can be hurt by it.

Here's a good quote for you: ""The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others." --Thomas Jefferson: Notes on Virginia, 1782. ME 2:221

Here's another: ""Common sense [is] the foundation of all authorities, of the laws themselves, and of their construction." --Thomas Jefferson: Batture at New Orleans, 1812. ME 18:92"

(yep...sure see "christian" or "religion" or "judeo-christian" in THAT sentence. :rolleyes:

Quote:
Second, have you looked at the different versions of the Ten Commandments? They are essentially the same. Different parts - Same meaning.
Yes I have. And they are still different. Show me where in the Protestant and Catholic commandments there is anything like the Hebrew's first commandment: "I am the Lord thy God, who brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery."
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist