It's got nothing to do w/ driving that close. It's got everything to do w/ not being able to see where the end of the vehicle in front of you is.

That's why if you're carrying a load that sticks out the back, you're supposed to put a red flag on it; to warn drivers behind you that there is something else that's the true rear of the vehicle, and not the bumper. And it's a visual warning, that moves, and grabs your attention.

Not to mention, whenever asshats have the ball on their hitch, and you try to parallel park behind them, there's either not enough space, 'cause they're hanging over into the spot behind them w/ their hitch, or you don't see it until the last second, and you accidently smack into it.

Or, because the asshat can't see the hitch behind them, they forget when they're backing out of said parking space, and slide the ball right onto the person behind 'em. And don't realize what they've done so they pull off.

Or when an asshat leaves a ball on, and they pull into a regular parking space, but they're overhanging into the driving lane 'cause they don't realize they've still got some jiggly hanging over.

Or when you're driving in city traffic, and the asshat in front of you pulls out in front of you, because they *think* they have enough space; not realizing they're shit is hanging back a good bit behind their bumper. But they're too damn stupid to remember and/or think about it.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves; seeing somebody riding w/ these things still hooked up.

It makes me WANT to rear end them... To shove that ball up into their throat. I guarantee my truck won't swerve first...