It's my opinion that an upconverting DVD player is slightly better then a regular DVD player. Here's the reason, better software. Just like enlarging an image in Photoshop, the better the software codec the better the results. You will not achieve TRUE high definition quality but the end result will theoretically be better.

There are many debates about this on the home theater forums I visit but from my experience I can see a slight difference. Just as I can see a slight difference between component cables and HDMI cables with HDMI cables being better. As with anything else in life different people have different opinions so the easiet way for you to experience this is to just buy the up converting DVD player and give it a trial. If you don't see an improvement just take it back.

Here's another tip for component cables or HDMI cables: buy them at Wal Mart. You can get them for pennies on the dollar compared to the big box or fancy electronics stores. I spent $39 on my HDMI cable from Uncle Walt when Circuit City, Best Buy and Ultimate Electronics wanted 3 to 4 times that amount.

Seriously, buy your cables at Wal Mart.