Quote:
Originally posted by PismoTaco:
Toy4x4-
Yes, I know we've been through this before. You know my results are not typical of any other person on ttora as I don't think anybody on that board drives as hard as me or constantly sand drags his truck for hours every other weekend. I would also say that my truck sees more offroad miles per 100,000 miles than anybody else on that board.

As for K&N, I didn't state you wern't in the safe zone for your driving conditions. I just said that the number would have been lower than it was if you had ran a different type of air filter.

For many though in offroad conditions you ought to state that many a person has found that K&N filtering has not been up to snuff.
-Chris
Well, another guy sent me a report for Amsoil oil with only 16,000 miles on the oil. His needed changing, so I don't think it's your driving style, but more the engine in question.

I think the K&N filtering has more to do with quality control on the gasket than the filter media itself. I never saw a spec of dust behind my filter even after a serious run at the tail end of a group on a VERY dusty gravel road. I was fortuneate enough to have a tight seal. Many others I know were not so fortuneate and did find dust behind their filters.

Do you know if there is an Amsoil filter for the Xterra available? I'm wanting one of those since it is an excellent compromise of filtering ability and performance AND is cheaper than the K&N. I don't think the "seal" on the Xterra air box will be an issue as it was on the Tacoma due to the Xterra's air box design, so the K&N will likely work fine on the Xterra, but I'd rather not spend so much on it.

I can say without a doubt that you do spend more time in the sand than anyone I know. Two (or more) broken engine mounts speak of your driving style laugh . You obviously push things to their limits.