Originally posted by porsche996:
Quote:
Originally posted by Offroad:
[b]
Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
[b]
quote:
So do you think that the diffs being the fuse on 05+ truck is not a design flaw...?
Yep, pretty much...

So how, from an Engineer's point of view...
So you're an engineer and for you it's better to have the diff as your weakest point rather than an axle shaft, CV axle or hub which are easier and cheaper to fix?

Tell me who you work for, so I don't buy products from them...[/b]
yes, I am an engineer. What I'm saying is, and you evidently missed it so I'll say it again, is it's NOT an engineering problem. It's a casting problem. The design engineer didn't physically make spider gears that are weak...

Don't confuse engineering with manufacturing. It's two different processes, and a screwup at either can have the same effect. However, since ALL of the spider gears aren't exploding, and the D44 variant has been used in Titans for quite some time, I'd say that is MUST be a batch of poor quality spider gears that made it into the diffs.

That's NOT an engineering problem; that's a manufacturing problem. Blame the jackass quality control person at the factory that let a bad batch of metal go through; don't blame the engineers that are designing things several hundred miles away...[/b]

Well, I think you're not aware of all the problems with 05+ diffs:

-Front diffs are blowing w/o doing anything wild. Engineering or manufacturing? Who cares, even cover under warranty won't make it up for the hard time you had.

-Some rear diffs came with 2 instead of 4 spider gears. Engineering?

-D44s with e-lockers are blowing because Nissan machined down one of the sides gears to make room for the locker. Engineering?

Anyhow, engineering or manufacturing, Nissan should stand up for their products and issue bulletins or recalls to fix the problem and not blame it on "driver abuse".