Quote:
Originally posted by xterraracer:
[b]GraniteX wrote;
"I am curious about how you identified RiNkY's differential as a 4 spider diff. The service manuals for 05 thru 07 indicate that there are only 2 "pinion gears" in the locking differential for the XTerra (and the Titan also) - Nissan refers to the spider gears as "Pinion Mate Gears". Also for the locking diff the "differential case assembly" which contains the spider (pinion mate gears) and the side gears is a non repairable part (as you stated) and cannot be disassembled."

Reply;
If you look at the picture you see that the housing is closed. That you have to remove the ring gear and then you can split the case to get at the spiders. On the the 2 spider diff, it has a large opening on both sides. That allows you to see the spiders, cross shaft etc. On the 4 spider diff, the case has to be closed so the other 2 shafts have material to be mounted into. The difference is so plain that once you understand it you too can tell at a glance.[/b]
Hmmm, I am going to have to pull my cover again and look. I have a rather early 05 build of March 05.