Quote:
Originally posted by NY Madman:
Quote:
Originally posted by Claus:

[b]You Can Base history on what you see in a movie!. what you can not do is comment on a movie you have not seen.
No. You can't base history on what you see in a movie. Well, maybe you can, but most people understand that movies are entertainment and incorporate dramatic license.

I'm not defending the Mormons. I'm defending the truth or what little truth about the incident actually exists. The truth is that no one really knows the exact true story and the motivation of the Mountain Meadows Massacre. We just know the results. Neither you nor the people who made that movie know the "actual events" as you claim.

It was a massacre, but what we can't say is that it was Mormon terrorism. A bloody massacre, yes. Brutal, yes. But saying it was terrorism is pretty much an attempt by modern people to softly excuse current terrorism.

If it was terrorism, what possible political goals or coercion could they have achieved by a mass murder of innocent people passing through on their way West? It seems born more out of extreme paranoia. Maybe even mental illness on the part of the leader. If they had massacred a garrison of US soldiers in cold blood while unprovoked, maybe that could have been considered Mormon terrorism. There would have been a clear political motivation. If the Mormons knew those people were innocents on their way to the West, there would have been no political gain or coercive angle to call it terrorism.

If that is your criteria for terrorism then an awful lot of Indian tribes who killed white people moving West were also terrorists.

Terrorism implies a coercive agenda or political motivation.

It's a stretch to call Mountain Meadows an act of terrorism when so little is known about the incident. It was definitely mass murder, but without knowing the exact reason and motivation, everything is speculation.

The entire incident was completely out of character for Mormon behavior. Typically it was the Mormons at the time who were persecuted and the hunted.

PBS did a pretty good documentary on the Mormons and you can see it at the link below. It included the Mountain Meadows Massacre.

http://www.pbs.org/mormons/view/

By the way... Who the hell is Nigel?[/b]
You announced to everyone is a previous thread that your Name was Nigel, I guess that was not true?

Religion vs politics when we talk about "modern Day " terrorism....which is dominant?. I would say Jihadding for Allah wins.

SO you say that the 15 minutes of love scenes in the movie was not part of the fact??. "Nigel", I am not born yesterday..