Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:

It's only that many stories, because sensationalism sells newspapers, and the majority of Americans are stupid. (There, I said it; the "average" American is just that; average. Which ain't all that bright....)

There are so many different breeds of terriers, and only 1 is technically the American Pit Bull. But anytime any dog attacks, if he happens to have short hair, weigh between 30 and 50 lbs, and have a bull-nosed head side profile, it'll be called a "pit bull" or a "part pit-bull" regardless of whether or not it even has any Pit Bull blood in it. But the "average" American has no earthly idea as to what a Pit Bull even is, let alone be able to know the difference between a Pit and, say, the Stadfordshire Terrier. They aren't the same (as I've learned in the past few years), but when it comes to a police report, they'll be considered the same regardless.
So that is your answer.... American's are stupid?

The dogs are wonderful. It is Americans that are the problem. eek

You didn't notice that some of the articles describing attacks by pit bull type dogs were from other countries like Australia, Canada and England too?

The UK regulates pit bull ownership. I think parts of Canada also regulates or bans ownership of these dogs. Is that also the fault of these "stupid Americans"?

The only fault I find with some Americans regarding dogs is that many have a tendency to "humanize" them to a certain degree.