Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say a retreiver bites as often as a Pit. What I'm saying is, a dog biting/attacking has virtually nothing to do with what breed it is, but rather has everything to do with how its raised. It's a learned behavior, NOT a genetic one.
There is only partial truth to what you have just said.

With dogs like Pit Bulls and Rotts ... maybe even Dobermans, you have to work harder to keep them behaved and disciplined. More so than other breeds such as say ... Collies.

The statistics and numbers don't align with the 'it's always the owner's fault' line of thinking.

Pit Bull type dogs aren't even the most populous dogs in the country, yet they rack up the largest numbers of deaths of humans and attacks.

That negates the argument that it is always the owner's fault.

Are you trying to say that bad and lazy people tend to gravitate toward owning Pit Bull type dogs and Rotts?

I would tend to doubt that.

The web site Wikipedia is loaded with a lot of false information, but according to them, the most popular dogs in the US are the following....

* 1. Labrador Retriever
* 2. Yorkshire Terrier
* 3. German Shepherd
* 4. Golden Retriever
* 5. Beagle
* 6. Dachshund
* 7. Boxer
* 8. Poodle
* 9. Shih Tzu
* 10.Miniature Schnauzer

I will try to verify that with another source.

If other breeds of dog have larger populations, why are pit bulls racking up the largest number of incidents and carnage?