Quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:
I think what he meant to say is hold it horizontal to the ground not aim it at the ground.

That could make sense.

But I still hold true to the plane taking off. It is all about getting lift. If the runway is moving the plane will never gain speed even if the engines are pushing it. Speed causes air to flow over the wing causing lift etc.

My opinion anyway
Yea I edited my post. I also agree that the plane would not take off. If I am reading the question correctly the plane is standing still since it's going the same speed as the treadmill. The plane still needs air to flow over the wings to cause lift. The plane would have to be travelling twice as fast as the treadmill before taking off.

F1 teams that test there cars in wind tunnels usually put the car on a "treadmill" to simulate speed since aerodynamics differ between a stationary car and a car that is moving (obviously these are open wheeled cars). If you just leave the "treadmill" on and take away the wind in the tunnel you would not get any readings on the downforce of the front and rear wings since no wind is acting on the wings.