Its funny - the same arguments are going on all over the web it seems...and, there's people here who read the arguments there, and here, and depite the amazing similarities, merely conclude that there's no consensus...w/o absorbing any of the concepts presented.

I'm adding a concept btw:

I CAN breath if I'm on a tread mill, it does not prevent airflow into my lungs.

A jet engine can draw air into it, as can a propeller plane draw air towards the prop...

Maybe people are thinking of the conveyor belt given as more of an entire planet, with its own atmosphere and gravity or something, rather than as the described big tread mill?

As the conveyor matches the plane's speed...if the plane is at rest, so is the belt.

I think for the example we have to assume its as given, an exact match...not a overshoot/correct/undershoot kind of thing.

I also think some of the "CF's" just can't get past the plane not = X thing...

Why would any one think air, wind, rain, snow, hail, butterflies, etc...would not blow about even if there's a tread mill under them?

If I go outside on my tread mill, and start walking at my usual 4 mph, and its raining...I get wet.

If you push me from behind, I will fall forward...if you strap a ACME Jet Pack to my back...I will fly off the tread mill...

If the tread mill spins at 60 mph...that jet pack will still send me flying off it.

Anyway - there's a bunch of over due Eureka Moments here.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif