Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
AAARGGG!

The belt only moves if the plane moves....

Speed, or Movement, means relative to the world...not the belt.

My GPS will say I'm going 0 mph if I am on a tread mill that is turning at 4 mph.

If my tread mill MATCHES MY SPEED, it would be turning at ZERO MPH.
You're changing the scenario.

If your moving at 4mph relative to the conveyor, the conveyor thinks you are moving 4mph, regardless of what your GPS says. Therefore, the conveyor will move at -4mph.

If there is someone controlling the conveyor and they are watching a pedometer you are wearing - you are going 4mph to them. So the conveyor stays at -4mph.

If they are WATCHING you - they will stop the conveyor (since by observation, you aren't moving relative to them). But then you will suddenly thrust forward - and they will see they were mistaken on your speed.

Basically - the question is worded poorly. It doesn't say what the speeds are relative to.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist