Quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:

I am still of the middle. No one here has absolutely convinced me it will 100% every time take off. To much variables not explained in the scenario. I am not 100% convinced it would stay on the ground either.

I am of the wheels blow up or wheel bearing melts runway run out of room type of guy. I know the plane will move but will the conveyor give enough counter friction to mess up the flight. Depends on me the size of plane and runway which is not laid out.

Small plane long runway I am of the fly theory.

Big plane small runway (small yet large enough for the big plane to take off under normal circumstances) no fly.

That is my opinion.

Jeff you cannot prove you are 100% right. I agree the plane moves. So shut up about how it moves. I am tired of seeing someone else's work in your argument.
Don't worry about what side of the debate you were on. The question itself is intentional designed to immediately confuse people.

Plus some on the board have seen the question before.

Jayz is also correct when he says many of us spent a lot of time trying to prove the theories of others wrong.

This question has confused people with some of the most advanced scientific degrees. What I was amazed about was the amount of pilots who claim that the plane could not take off....and still do.

It probably all comes down to whether you immediately look at things in practical terms or theoretical terms.

You are correct though when you say there will be problems with the wheels. While looking at another site that claimed to have a lot of pilots, there were guys who gave data regarding the amount of stress and abuse the wheels could take. A standard passenger airliner couldn't take the abuse and stress placed on the wheels. They would come apart and the plane would crash... hence no takeoff.

So there was a certain amount of suspension of disbelief involved with the scenario.

The scenario was also good at something else. It kind of proved who here on XOC is capable of civil and reasonable debate and who is not.