Quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Rat:
Holy shit. 52+ pages. I feel dumber for actually having read the bulk of this.

The plane question is designed to confuse based on anyone's interpretation of the word speed.

If the plane's speed relative to the treadmill was equal, the plan would appear to not be moving and would not take off.

If the plane's speed relative to the air and the stable ground was equal to the treadmill's speed, aside from having to overcome minimal friction at the wheels spinning twice the speed of the plane, it takes off.

Not that all that hasn't been said about 700 times....

Now...in order to maintain airspeed velocity, an African swallow has to beat its wings 37 times a second....Am I right?
Laden, or unladen?

laugh

The problem is not KNOWING what speed means in the context...as how quickly you are moving your wheels or legs around, unless you are moving proportionally, is not your speed.

Moving AS IF you are going a speed, is not your speed....yet, some people could not get their head's around that.

(I'm stuck in a ditch, spinning my tires...the speedometer SAYS I'm going 40 mph....my tires are turning AS IF I'm going 40 mph....what's my speed?)

The other impediment was the addition of details obviously not part of the posed problem...like tire speed ratings, etc....while missing the fundamental issue.

Its as if the people hear a simple concept based brain teaser, such as ...."If a tree falls in the woods, but there's nobody around to hear it, does it make a noise?"

...And focus on how soft the surrounding trees might be, what time of year it is, how tall the tree might be, the slope of the terrain, wind direction, speed and weather conditions, the type of wood, its density, what made it fall, how old is it, could it have been dropped from a plane into a lake which held a flooded forest, etc...instead of on what noise is, and its relation to observation.

laugh

IE: Instead of using logic to solve the presented question, they focus upon unanswerable and irrelevant potential complications.

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif