Quote:
Originally posted by ATFrontier:

No, Bortz is a syndicated talk show host. And contrary to NYMM, he does know what he's talking about. The fact is what he believes is that people should be able to keep what they make and be taxed on what they spend. Plain and simple. It is a workable plan.
Boortz doesn't know what he is talking about. It's also NOT a workable plan.

Boortz's reliance on "embedded taxes" already incorporated into current pricing schemes is more than just a little specious. Many consumer items today are manufactured overseas and have already removed much of the "embedded" pricing that is incumbent on items manufactured here in the US.

Boortz's plan involes "consumption allowances" and rebates paid by the government. Aren't the rebates another government entitlement system?

The Fair Tax also assumes full taxpayer compliance. That is one of it's biggest flaws, besides all of the other assumptions it makes.

His Fair Tax also taxes all new goods and services. Used goods are not taxed including homes.

Don't get me wrong... I do think the current tax system needs to be overhauled. I am also not completely against some type of Fair Tax. I just think it needs more study. A lot more study. In it's current form it seems like more bloviating and assumptions than anything else.

The Fair Tax bills that have been proposed in Congress don't eliminate the IRS or do anything about the 16th Amendment, so it is a hard sell. Without eliminating the IRS or the 16th Amendment, it seems more like a fraud being perpetrated on the public.

Right now it seems more like a reactionary emotional tug or an argument that sounds good over a discussion in a corner bar.

The hurdles that would have to be overcome to achieve a successful Fair Tax scheme are virtually insurmountable. It would also require the individual states to go along with the scheme. Another insurmountable hurdle.

It would also require Democrats to go along with the plan. Right now, how many Democrats support the Fair Tax? How many Democrats support eliminating the IRS? How many Democrats even support studying the proposal?

Where are the Ron Paul supporters on the Fair Tax? If it is so "Libertarian", has he co-sponsored any of the Fair Tax bills in Congress? I don't think so.