Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
Umm, might want to revise that to say, "Still Sucks to be Sony AND Microsoft"... The Wii being the number 1 console in the world, outselling the Xbox 360 total sales, in less than half the time, is pretty damned impressive!
Meh - at least MS broke even (so they claim). I didn't expect MS to take number 1 - but I certainly didn't expect Sony to remain number three - and by such a wide margin! I guess hubris really doesn't pay after all.

Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
Guess we all (PS3 AND 360 fans) guessed wrong on this one.
Nintendo kept it simple and followed their roots. They are not so gently reminding Sony and Microsoft that ultimately the majority of people play games - for the games and not the technical wizardry. We geeks tend to get hung up on crap like "it's just a warmed over game cube" (it's not) or "that controller is a gimmick" (it's not that either) but they are missing the point.

It's about the game play.

The Wii brings unique, fun and engaging game play to the table. And there are titles like Brain Age and the Wii sports that offer totally different experiences that are accessible to normal people other than shooting things and watching them blow up.

Heck, they are holding Wii bowling tournaments in nursing homes! Hand a six axis controller with a normal games button layout to a nursing home resident and they would probably throw it back at you. Hand them a Wii-mote and show them how to bowl with it, and they get it - because it mimics a natural action they already understand.

That's some exciting stuff. I hate memorizing button layout's and combo moves. I will force myself if the game is particularly good and I like it enough - but I like the idea of not having to use buttons that represent real world actions - when instead I could just mimic that real world action.

It will be interesting to see where the success of the Wii starts to drive the game industry. Perhaps it will finally encourage more people to think outside the box and move beyond the now plethora of brain-dead first person shooters...