Quote:
Originally posted by Auditor_Kevin:
Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
[b]
Quote:
Originally posted by NismoXse02:
[b]I don't think either is going to win. Upconverting DVD's is good enough for most people. This battle is obviously "not going anywhere for awhile" and the next format will be the winner.
I kinda' agree with you on that one. Truth be told, the majority of people in the country don't have HDTV's, and won't for a long, long time. And as long as manufacturers keep selling those shitty "HD TVs" that only have 720p as their highest resolution, real HD never will have a big saturation, 'cause the "average" buyer will get one of those to save money. And they won't have a clue that they're missing anything. They really have no use for either HD formats.[/b]
Wait, so you're breaking the market for HD content into two categories: 1080 people and....everyone else?

Sure, I'd like a 1080p TV, but I got into HD back in 2004 when 1080 was bank and not used in any broadcasts. There are still lots and lots of people out there like me.

I gotta think the market for HD movie content breaks down like this: HDTV owners (including 720 people) and non-HDTV owners. And it's the non-HDTV owners slowing down the resolution of the format war, not people like me with 720. We spend just as much on HD content as everyone else, and if anything, encouraged the industry to continue on up the ladder to 1080 in the first place - not retarded it's growth somehow.[/b]
No, I'm saying if the majority of the "normal" buyer doesn't buy a 1080 capable TV, then they aren't going to see any benefit to upgrading to a high-definition DVD player. An upconverting DVD player will look just fine to them on a 720p screen because they'll never know what they're missing. And the more of these 720p sets are sold as "HD-TV" screens, the less likely the average person is going to buy yet another TV in a couple years to upgrade again to the 1080 format. Most people don't like buying new TV's every couple years... Least not anybody I know.