Originally Posted By: newx9
First things first. I have a completely stock 06 X OR edition. First X I've ever owned, SOB's to take a part in my opinion. I know a fair amount bout 4x4 and such.

What I want to get verification on is the maximum tire size I can fit without any lift. I have heard mixed emotions and a couple different answers from pros, mechs, and fans. I have removed the mud flap anyways and still have the stock 265/75/16 wheels and tires.

Can I fit 285/75/16 with no rubbing?
Can I fit 295/75/16 with no rubbing?
Can I fit 305/70/16 with no rubbing?

Hoping to get a honest answer with maybe some pics for proof or explain how and why.

Thank ya much.

There's never a clear cut answer, as one 285/75/16 might be different in ACTUAL size by ~ 1/2" or so from another, and even what people mean by "rubbing" differs.

However, the 285/75/16 upgrade is typically painless.

There is on SOME X's of your year, a plastic bump in the front wheel well liners, that can rub if its there.

This bump has nothing behind it, and appears to simply be an artifact of the universal molds they use to make liners.

All you do, if it rubs, is take a hairdryer or heat gun, and shrink it back.

This typically takes about 5 minutes, and works like a charm.

Some people leave it alone, and let the tire rub off the plastic bump, self clearancing it.

People have fit up to the 305/70/16's as well, the same way....but the 285's are the most popular even if the footprint/traction/flotation is not as great.

Its best to just let the tire place mount them, and then turn the wheel back and forth, and see where you need to address, or, that you are good to go.

As long as you are using the stock rims, it works great...if you use less backspacing, then even a stock sized tire can rub, etc.

laugh

If looking for a context for YOUR X, the 265/75/16 STOCK tire size sticks out ~ 1/2" less than a 285/75/16 tire would...so you can merely take a 1/2" thick object, and pass it around the current 265/75/16 tire, and see if it hits.

laugh

Edited by TJ (11/07/11 08:55 AM)

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif