I just sold my '03 with just under 150,000 on it. I bought a new 2012 which makes my third Xterra. The '03 never gave me any real problems outside of the normal and well known problems such as A/C issues related to leaking high pressure hose. I did all of the maintenance on it since buying it, which I think is the key to trouble free ownership of any vehicle. As I like to say, the professional mechanic is a car's worst enemy.

It also helped that I changed oil every 2,500 miles, always used Mobil 1 motor oil, A/T fluid, and LSD oil. Also always ran premium gas in it.

Another thing which helps guarantee trouble-free ownership is to never let your engine overheat. I did my own timing belt at about 90,000 miles and changed the water pump as many advise. At 100,000 I replaced radiator and fan clutch. I also changed radiator hoses and thermostat frequently. Preventive maintenance is always going to be cheaper than engine work.

I figured that if I had kept it much longer, I would be faced with changing the O2 sensors, exhaust system, and perhaps other expensive components.

I wish the second gen engines had cast iron blocks as the first gen does, but they are aluminum. Let's see how long I can make this one last.

Lastly, whenever I buy a new vehicle, I follow my own self-imposed break-in schedule, to include changing oil frequently for the first couple thousand miles. Also use dino oil until around 2,500 miles, when I switch to Mobil 1.