I did a search, but did not find what I needed so I am starting a new topic.

I have a 2001 SE 4x4 V6. After a dependable 234,000 miles with mostly just routine maintenance, the head gaskets blew last week. I am replacing the gaskets myself and currently have everything torn down except for the heads still being attached to the exhaust.

Doing this job on other vehicles, I have removed the exhaust manifolds from the heads prior to pulling the heads. However, the factory service manual says to break the exhaust pipes below the catalytic converters and remove the heads with the exhaust manifolds still attached. With extremely limited work space in both areas, neither of these options looks very good.

Can anyone out there that has actually done this job offer up any words of advice? Better yet, if there is anyone out there in the Hampton Roads, VA area that has done this job, there are some cold beers waiting if you want to assist the rest of the tear-down or reassembly.

Also, to any of those Hampton Roads residents, can you recommend a good machine shop to have the heads worked?

Thank you all for taking the time to read this. Thanks even more to anyone that can provide some advice. The most thanks (and those cold beers) go to whomever is willing to get their hands dirty while getting the X back on the road.

P.S. In case this looks familiar, I also posted it on ClubXterra.org which seems to be much more active than XOC nowadays.