I had a leak in my power steering lines, and two weeks ago I had them replaced.

Since then, I had noticed my power steering pump wasn't performing well. The belt would chirp when I first started it up, and turning the wheel to the right would be difficult when it was cold.

So this weekend I decided to replace the pump, and do all my belts while I was at it.

After I got everything back together (and after having to go to the hardware store to find a replacement for my alternator tensioner bolt), and I attempted to bleed the air out of the lines following the process that I found online, which basically said to raise the front end off the ground and continuously turn the steering wheel fully back and forth until you no longer see a reduction in fluid in the power steering reservoir, and starting it up and checking to see if the fluid foams up... well, it didn't work.

Well, I tried this several times and when I cranked the vehicle, the fluid got frothy. So, the last time I tried I must have sat there and turned the wheel back and forth for 30 minutes. I felt like a fool. I even got my iPod and jammed just to kill the boredom and distract myself from how much of an idiot I felt like sitting there turning this steering wheel back and forth.

So anyway. That didn't work.

Is there a proper way to bleed the power steering lines in a 3.3L xterra?

Someone save me.

BTW, I was a member here from about 2006 to 2009 but when I tried to log in recently my account was gone. frown

Edited by zen (24/09/12 12:22 PM)