A couple months ago my 2002 XE started having a number of problems including oil mixing with coolant and a perky little problem where the engine wouldn't automatically downshift after cresting a hill with cruise control on. As much as I loved my X, I did not want to put money into a 185,000 mile vehicle (which had 45 miles on it when I bought it according to my title!), so I decided it was time to start shopping.

I quickly discovered that my options were limited: I wanted a mid-size SUV, but I need something that can tow a 2,800 pound pop-up and with most of the mid-level SUVs going unibody very few had the towing capacity. It didn't take me long to decide that I was buying another Xterra and when Nissan had their Black Friday deals, I decided it was time to jump. I ended up with a 2012 Pro-4X in Night Armor with leather. I wasn't crazy about the leather at first--all the Pros on the lot had it and the deals I was getting were too good to pass up--but now that I've ended up having to drive 3,000 miles over the past 45 days I'm very happy...I just hope it holds up...

Anyway, my new X didn't come with step rails (I actually didn't notice this until after I picked it up and brought it back to work) and and I really liked the look of them on the old X (ex-X?)--they're just one of those things that makes an Xterra an Xterra. I'm thinking about adding them in the spring. Are they something I can do myself in my driveway or would I need to get them professionally installed?

I'm also wondering what the recommended best bet is for rails. On a quick look through the forums I saw some recommendations for aftermarket rock sliders instead of the factory rails for off-roading. While I've certainly seen my share of rutted, muddy, need-4-Low-to-get-out backcountry roads, I rarely find myself on anything that wasn't at least once a logging road, so I'm not worried about damage from scrapes. The rails are really more for looks and for making it easier for my 5' tall 80-year-old grandmother to get in.

Thanks in advance for the help.

--Jason