I've had my 2000 Xterra for 14 years now - drove it off the lot brand new and she now has 200k on it. I love this truck. About 7 years ago moved from Florida to Minnesota and realized 2WD does not do well in the snow. No matter how slow and careful I drive, the back end wants to outrun the front, even with minimum snow on the ground. I mean, it was downright scary to drive the X in the winter. Even going down neighborhood streets it wanted to go all over the road... not fun at all... Stopped driving it in the winter and got myself a little Honda Civic for the daily driver.

Question is, what can be done? Anyone else have similar problems? Would snow tires do the trick? I put weight in the back so starting traction is okay, but it still wants to float all over the place... I would like the option of being able to drive the X in the winter if needed. Not looking to go drive up the side of a mountain, but making it so driving around city roads with a few inches of snow would be safe.

I thought when I put BF Goodrich All Terrain tires it would be better, since they have the snowflake emblem on them, but they are no better than the OEM tires I ran for years. Don't want to spend money on $$$ snow tires if the results will not be all that much better.

Any suggestions other than mothballing the X for six months out of the year? At some point my wife and I will have kids and having an SUV to drive in the winter would be nice. I would hate to have to get rid of the X and get something else. As it stands now, I would not drive the X in the snow, much less with my family in the truck.